Oracle 12c R2 database available to on-premise
April 18th, 2017
Released in 2013 to all customers (on-premise and cloud / DBaaS), 12c was available for purchase or upgrade for any customer. However, Oracle 12C R2 is Oracle Corporation’s first database release available only to database cloud (DBaaS) customers, in October 2016. In order to boost ‘cloud’ revenues, the Oracle 12c R2 version was no where available to download for supported customers for months.
However, recently Oracle made available, Release 2 of 12C, to the on-premise customer. Linux customers were the first to benefit from the wait while Windows customers were appeased later, in March 2017.
With this new release of 12C, customers can expect:
- The elimination of downtime with specific features
- The ability to perform maintenance without taking the system offline
- Improved performance
- Improved Multitenant architecture allowing for more databases per virtual or physical server.
- Further streamlining of space consumption and overhead of indexes
- The ability to perform simulations with a timeline predictor
- “Hot cloning” (a copy made without shutting down the source database)
- Ability to perform simulations for enabled features
- Ability to split items up across multiple databases, or to offload one thing into multiple databases
- Increased memory
Moving organizations forward
Oracle understands the demands on business and organizations to do more with less. Their commitment to improved systems allows customers to do just that.
With ever-expanding features, this is a good time to assess your organization’s database and support timeline. It may be time for an upgrade. Though upgrading may seem expensive, when compared to the loss of productivity due to system downtime or inability to access data, the long-term benefit is often well worth the expense.
If you are considering upgrading to Oracle 12C or have general questions about your database, please let us know. We offer a wide range of services to assess what you have and help you plan what you need as your business scales.